Monday, September 5, 2011

{365} 9.5.11

This was supposed to be yesterday's post, but my camera's battery pack died and needed to be recharged for me to upload my pic's.

Yesterday Ashley and my friend Cindy came over to make our own laundry soap (we are so domesticated!!).  I came across this recipe on THIS blog.  I was a little leery about it, because I LOVE the smell of Tide~but $20 to make the batch and it lasted 9 months (family of 4), I was all over that savings!!!

I used it this morning and I was delightfully surprised with the light clean scent, and it did a WONDERFUL job on my laundry too!  I am thinking this may last me an entire year!!

It is really very simple to make and took about 10 min.
You can find all the ingredients at Walmart for just under $20~I bought my 5 gal bucket at Home Depot for $4 (to mix and store the soap in).
sept 5 rs 001

Ingredients
1 4 lb box Borax
1 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1 4lb box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
3 bars of Fels-naptha soap
2 small containers of oxyclean or store brand oxyclean (I bought the big tub)

Start out by grating the Fels-naptha soap (I used my 25 year old food processor {that I origianally purchased when the cutie below was born to make my own baby food} and it worked GREAT).  It looks like grated cheddar cheese.
sept 5 rs 004

sept 5 rs 002

sept 5 rs 003

Then mix everything in the 5 gal bucket~VIOLA!  That is it!!
sept 5 rs 005

This is how I store mine in my laundry room, (you use 1 Tablespoon per load).
sept 5 rs 006

and since my battery died at the last step~it is a good thing Cindy brought her camera~you can see us with the finished product~HERE.

Let me know if you try it, and if you like it!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy this, I sure do. I love saving money anyway I can these days. (looks like you ladies had fun)

    ReplyDelete